[Dnsmasq-discuss] filter-AAAA is breaking dnsmasq

Treysis treysis at gmx.net
Sun Oct 10 13:18:06 UTC 2021

On 10/10/2021 10:42, Geert Stappers via Dnsmasq-discuss wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 03:20:33AM +0200, Trey Sis wrote:
>> On 10/10/2021 2:08, E wrote:
>>> dnsmasq can't start when the user add filter-AAAA or --filter-AAAA to
>>> conf file.
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> you shouldn't really do that anyways. Removing AAAA records is usually a
>> very bad idea. It will also keep your network from being ready for the
>> future.
>
> Very true.
>

> But the message that started this thread should be read as
>

>    Hello people that I address,
>

>    You made dnsmasq.
>    I demanded a feature.
>    You added even two features `filter-A` and `filter-AAAA`.
>    I'm yet not capable of using the new feature.
>    You must help me.
>    I already told that two days ago.
>    You MUST help me NOW.
>

>    Regards  Entitled
>

>> Cheers,

> Groeten
> Geert Stappers

Geert,

you're barking up the wrong tree. Neither did I report the problem that
dnsmasq wouldn't start up (it does start up for me and works as
intended, both filter-A and filter-AAAA, btw.), nor did I demand a feature.

On the contrary: I proposed a feature and provided a patch myself, only
that my patch wasn't conforming to the standards. Also, I don't see
where the original poster asked anything before regarding the feature.

Furthermore, if it were for me, I'd rather have no filter-A, than having
filter-AAAA included. But I guess this ship is sailed now. Why I don't
like the simple existence of filter-AAAA: it will just facilitate it for
too many people to completely disable IPv6 in their networks. That will
cause a bad long-term effect on IPv6 transition.

Cheers,

treysis