[Dnsmasq-discuss] Domain specific TTL control options

tobias+dnsmasq at trds.de tobias+dnsmasq at trds.de
Sun Oct 10 20:21:44 UTC 2021

On 2021-10-10 20:43, Dominik Derigs wrote:
> On Thu, 2021-10-07 at 12:29 +0200, Tobias via Dnsmasq-discuss
> wrote:
>> it would be useful (at least for me)
>
> In general, it is a bad idea to do this but I assume you know
> this. So what is your use case for manipulating the TTL of only
> particular domains?

There are some domains I query a lot, as there are monitoring tools
running checking stuff there. I have no control over were this stuff is
hosted, and the provider does not allow controlling the TTLs of even
custom DNS records, but inappropriately uses a very low value instead,
increasing my overall outgoing DNS queries quite a bit for no good
reason. It's not tragic, but if I could fine-tune this, it would be nice.

Then regarding neg-ttl, one of the domains I monitor behaves badly in
another way, for some records it correctly gives NXDOMAIN, but without
SOA (due to a nameserver "bug"), which prevents proper caching. neg-ttl
"solves" this somewhat, but not really well, again choosing a proper
value for this specific domain would be preferred.

On the other hand, if you think this is a bad idea, surely doing it for
all domains must be worse, right? But the options exist, and I assume
for a reason, and whatever these reasons were, they most likely can be
applied to single domains as well.