[Dnsmasq-discuss] wpad and DNS ...

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Jan 10 16:40:21 GMT 2006

C.Lee Taylor wrote:
> Greetings ...
>
>     A little off topic, but I'm hoping somebody can help ...
>
>     I'm looking at using automatic proxy setup, hoping to use SRV and
> TXT records, but I don't really understand either.
>
>     At http://www.wlug.org.nz/WPAD it says add the following ...
>
> $ORIGIN host.co.nz.
>  wpad            IN      A       192.168.0.254
>                  IN      TXT     "service:
> wpad:!http://wpad.host.co.nz:80/proxy.pac"
>  wpad.tcp        IN      SRV     0 0 80 wpad.host.co.nz.
>
>     But I don't know how to tell dnsmasq what is what, it looks totally
> different to the examples in the dnsmasq.conf, could I ask somebody to
> help me with this.

The SRV and TXT records are different ways to achieve the same thing,
you shouldn't need both.

You can achieve the TXT record like this,

txt-record=host.co.nz,"service:wpad:!http://wpad.host.co.nz:80/proxy.pac"

and the SRV record like this:

srv-host=wpad.tcp.host.co.nz,wpad.host.co.nz,80

(the priority and weight will default to zero.)

Note that I think your reference is wrong: The service and protocol
fields ought to have leading underscores This comes from RFC 2782. In
that case you need

srv-host=_wpad._tcp.host.co.nz,wpad.host.co.nz,80

HTH