[Dnsmasq-discuss] enable-ra problem

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Oct 8 12:00:40 BST 2013

On 05/10/13 15:33, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> I recently had a problem where dnsmasq caused the system to crash by
> filling the syslog with messages related to enable-ra. My currently
> solution is to not use enable-ra and instead use radvd. The messages in
> syslog are a pair of the form:
> dnsmasq-dhcp[1029]: RTR-SOLICIT(eth0)
> dnsmasq-dhcp[1029]: RTR-ADVERT(eth0) fd00:1111:2222:18::
> with over 1000 pairs in a minute!
>
> 1. Any idea what could cause this?

Something on your network is sending a lot of router-solict messages and
dnsmasq is responding to them, or maybe there's a routing loop and the
same message is going round and round.....

> 2. I believe I can get this is happen "on command" and I can run
> wireshark to look at interfaces. Should I look at interfaces on the
> system running dnsmasq or on another system on the network?

Look on the machine running dnsmasq, but look for the source (MAC
address and IP address) of the router-solicts.

> 3. Could some system external to the system running dnsmasq be doing
> something which causes this to happen?

Yes, see above.

> 4. With radvd it is possible to set the minimum and maximum time
> intervals between sending unsolicited multicast router advertisements.
> Does such a capability exist in dsnamsq? What interval does dnsmasq use?

For unsolicited RAs there are two modes, they're send every 5 - 20
seconds for a couple of minutes after an event that may have changed the
information, and then every 5 minutes or so after that. There's no rate
limiting in solicited RAs, which is what you're seeing.