[Dnsmasq-discuss] OT client q: both static and dhcp

Carl Karsten carl at nextdayvideo.com
Sun Jun 27 19:26:50 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 2:12 PM <wkitty42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/27/21 1:01 PM, Carl Karsten wrote:
> > If I do not have access to the venue network, then my networking needs
> are just
> > my 2 devices.  This is the  case I am trying to provide for, without
> having to edit
> > a config file.  the Opsis PC is often headless,  so editing is done via
> ssh from
> > the voctomix pc, which is hard if the 2 don't have networking setup.
>
> put another NIC in it and dedicat that NIC to your management access...
> assign
> it an IP in a weird RFC1918 block and you should be ok... this way you can
> always access it even if the other general purpose NIC is not connected to
> network...

how is this better than my current solution?

> never connect this dedicated NIC to any other network outside of your
> complete control...

That means I can't use venu lan and have to run my own cables.  Sometimes I
run my own cable, but If I don't have to it is nice to jack into existing
wiring.

> be sure to carry a crossover cable with you so you can
> connect that NIC with the one in your other device..

"Newer routers, hubs and switches (including some 10/100, and all 1-gigabit
or 10-gigabit devices in practice) use auto MDI-X for 10/100 Mbit
connections to automatically switch to the proper configuration once a
cable is connected."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-dependent_interface#Auto-MDIX

> . in fact, you might want to
> use a dedicated management NIC in both devices so they can be set up with
> specific static IPs and always be accessible to each other...

More hardware and more cables and make sure the right cables go to the
right hardware.  this does not sound better ;)

> --
>   NOTE: No off-list assistance is given without prior approval.

Carl K